IV Infusion Therapy 101
Infusion therapy is when medication, vitamin boost, or fluids are administered to an individual directly to their veins by needle or catheter, intravenously (IV). It delivers a drug that can’t be ingested because the medicine loses its potency once in the digestive tract or you’re unable to take it.
IV Infusion is also utilized to administer drugs that require a controlled delivery pace, such as some types of chemotherapy. In addition, some medication needs to get to the bloodstream rapidly to counter life-threatening situations.
The benefits of IV Infusion Therapy
IV Therapy is used to provide fluids for dehydrated patients, blood transfusions, nutrition, and medication. It’s designed to ensure total absorption with minimal waste. It has several benefits further discussed below.
1. Enhancing athletic function. IV vitamin infusion therapy drips for an athlete are tailor-made to:
- Wash out free radicals
- Encourage repair of tissues.
- Supply quick rehydration
- Build and maintain healthy muscle mass
- Boost stamina before exercising
- Help in recovery after exercise strain
2. Provides hangover relief swiftly.
Excessive consumption of alcohol can cause dehydration and loss of nutrients from your body. This manifests as fatigue, headache, nausea, stomachache, irritability, and sensitivity to sound or light. Hydration hangover drips deliver a saline solution, vitamins, electrolytes, and anti-nausea medication that alleviate the symptoms.
3. Increases your physical and psychological wellness.
A perfect balance of vitamins and nutrients in your body ensures normal function. Stress from daily activities minimizes your intake of essential vitamins. IV vitamin infusion therapy provides the maximum advantage of nutrients such as:
- Minimize migraines
- Fights symptoms of asthma and allergies
- Reduce fatigue
- Hasten wound healing
4. Enhancing your appearance. Habitual infusion therapy near you can rejuvenate your skin’s look by:
- Brightening skin by removing blemishes
- Strengthening hair and nails
- Reducing the aging process and wrinkles
5. Assist with healthy weight loss
6. Help with addiction recuperation by reducing withdrawal symptoms
7. Combat depression and anxiety symptoms
8. Enhance energy levels and metabolic functions
9. Improving your immunity hence preventing illness.
10. Balancing hormones
What Are The Risks Involved?
IV treatment is primarily safe but can develop complications if mishandled. The most common are:
1) Inflammation of the vein, which is known as phlebitis. It helps if the cannula is wide for the vein or if it’s loosely fit. It can be avoided by the use of a small needle suitable for the medication ad patient. The signs include:
- Redness around the area
2) Extravasation, leakage of the fluid to the neighboring tissues. The patient experiences a burning feeling and inflammation at the site.
3) Air embolism, an air bubble that enters the vein, can be life threatening if it travels to other organs such as the lungs. This is controlled by ensuring the patient is sufficiently hydrated and supine position when inserting and retrieving the IV line. The signs are:
- Pale skin
- Shortness of breath
- Low blood pressure
4) Infection. Its main cause is dirt and can be prevented by proper cleaning of the port and skin. It is indicated by:
- Severe pain
5) Abnormal increase in blood volume is known as hypervolemia. Pregnant women, children, older adults are more vulnerable to this complication. It is indicated by rapid heart rate and distended neck veins.
When Do I See a Doctor for IV Therapy Treatment?
Some situations require IV infusion therapy treatment as part of care. These include:
1. Dehydration, indicated by:
- Weakness and dizziness
- Minimal and dark-colored urine
- Dry mouth
2. Surgery. It is done during sedation and efficiently delivers drugs in case of emergencies. The IV liquids also maintain sugar levels during the procedure.
3. Malnutrition. Physicians use partial parenteral nutrition to remedy the condition by providing the essential food to those who can’t meet the daily quota through eating. It is also offered to patients with a dysfunctional gastrointestinal system.
Additionally, urgent care centers provide IV therapy for patients who need a rapid delivery of medication and other liquids. These emergencies are:
- Excessive blood loss
- Heart attack
If you require IV therapy in Houston, visit Neumed Urgent Care IV Therapy. We provide an all-inclusive treatment plan for chronic and preventive conditions.